What is AMRD?
AMRD is a condition in which there is a slow breakdown of cells in the center of the retina (the light-sensitive layers of nerve tissue at the back of the eye). This blocks vision in the center of the eye and can cause problems with activities such as reading and driving. ARMD is most often seen in people who are over the age of 50.
What are the two types of AMRD?
- Dry (nonexudative or atrophic): All age-related macular degeneration (AMD) starts as the dry form. About 85% of people with AMD have only dry AMD. The loss of central vision occurs over years and is painless, and most patients retain enough vision to read and drive. Central blind spots (scotomas) usually occur late in the disease and can sometimes become severe. Symptoms are usually bilateral.
- Wet (exudative or neovascular): Wet AMD occurs in about 15% of people. Rapid vision loss, usually over days to weeks, is more typical of wet AMD. The first symptom is usually visual distortion, such as a central blind spot (scotoma) or curving of straight lines (metamorphopsia). Peripheral vision and color vision are generally unaffected; however, the patient may become legally blind (< 20/200 vision) in the affected eye, particularly if AMD is not treated. Wet AMD usually affects one eye at a time; thus, symptoms of wet AMD are often unilateral.
Although only 15% of patients with AMD have the wet form, 80 to 90% of the severe vision loss caused by AMD results from wet AMD.
What is the treatment for AMRD?
The following are the various treatment modalities for AMRD:
- Dietary supplements for high-risk dry or unilateral wet age-related macular degeneration
- Intravitreal anti vascular endothelial growth factor drugs or laser treatments for wet AMD
- Supportive measures such as Vitamins
Trying To Reach The Best AMRD Specialist In Mumbai? Call Us!
Stop AMRD from spoiling your vision! Get advanced eye treatment by the leading AMRD Specialist in Mumbai and improve your vision at Arohi Eye Hospital.
For a AMRD Specialist in Mumbai on eye check-up and treatment, Call : +91-9820111315