Dry eye treatment in teenagers, in recent times, has become a major matter of concern. The increasing use of digital devices by children and teenagers has made them more vulnerable to dry eye syndrome and other related eye issues.
But dry eye syndrome in children is completely preventable and curable. Only as a parent, you need to follow the instructions of your eye doctor and make a few lifestyle changes for your child. You can also visit the best child eye specialist in Mumbai or anywhere you live, for comprehensive eye care for your little one.
Why is there an increase in dry eye syndrome in teenagers?
For the past few years, we have been seeing a growing use of digital devices among children. The primary reasons are mainly the emergence of new technology as well as the changing circumstances of life and lifestyle.
Today around 75% of teenagers use smartphones, among which, 25% are always connected to the internet (source: Ojas Eye Hospital). The growing use of social media like Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, etc. elongates the digital screen time of teens.
And recently, due to the pandemic, the changing education system, online classes, etc. have made the children more dependent on digital devices like smartphones, tablets, laptops, desktops, etc. Moreover, social distancing has compelled everyone to stay at home. So outdoor games for children are completely restricted. Naturally, a confined life at home leads to more use of digital devices which brings various health issues in children. Dry eye syndrome is one such condition.
What are the various symptoms of dry eye in children?
Children can not communicate their vision discomfort in a proper way. Mostly they will rub their eyes if there are any such issues. But the parents should keep an eye on their kids to read their behavior and understand the underlying cause of such behavior. Here are some common dry eye symptoms in children:
- Burning or stinging sensation in the eyes
- Blurry or cloudy vision
- A scratchy feeling in the eyes
- A layer of mucus around the eyes
- Irritated or red eyes especially in the wind or smoke
- Watery eyes due to eye irritation etc.
If you’ve noticed any such signs in your child, rush to the leading eye hospital in Mumbai for a complete eye checkup and dry eye treatment.
Common eye disorders in teenagers that require dry eye treatment
Treatment for dry eyes is one of the most common requirements at Arohi Eye Hospital. And the requirements in children and teenagers are increasing rapidly. A few common eye disorders that we generally see in children due to the growing use of digital devices are as follows:
1. Myopia or Nearsightedness: Prolonged digital screen time causes nearsightedness among children.
2. Blurred vision: Focussing in the same direction for an extended period of time causes blurry vision or cloudy vision. So when the child looks away from the screen after a long time, he/she can not focus and everything becomes cloudy in front of the eye.
3. Increased blue light exposure: Digital devices emit very harmful blue light that affects the children’s eyes and mental health as well. Along with it, it causes periodic headaches, sleep disorders, fatigue, etc. in children. To prevent this issue, most devices come with an eye protection feature. So you can activate it on your child’s device.
4. Dry eyes: When children use mobile devices or laptops for a prolonged period of time, they generally skip blinking their eyes. So this causes the moisture in the eye to evaporate easily, vision discomfort, and dry eye. Immediate dry eye treatment in children can cure the issue completely. But if left untreated, it can worsen the symptoms and cause vision damage.
5. Computer vision syndrome: Long hours of exposure to the digital screen causes severe eye strain in your child which is called Computer Vision Syndrome (CVS). It comes with fatigue, dry eyes, headache, tired eyes, vision fluctuation, pain in the back, neck, and shoulder, c, etc. CVS if left untreated, can cause severe eye disorders in children and disrupt their natural lifestyle.
Dry eye treatment at home: Manage digital device usage in Teenagers
These days, it’s imperative that you control the time your child uses a digital device like a mobile phone or laptop to ensure it does not damage their health. As a parent you should implement the following ways for better results:
- First, limit your child’s mobile phone use time strictly. Don’t let him/her sleep with a phone. Take all the devices from them at least 1 hour before they sleep.
- Second, turn off the TV during dinner to promote some media-free time every day. Also, keep the smartphones in “do not disturb” mode.
- Then, encourage your children to involve themselves in various indoor or outdoor activities like sports, exercise, brisk walking, talking to family members or friends, etc.
- Also, ask them to take a break for a few minutes after every hour of using a digital screen.
- Next, remind your child often to blink more to reduce the chances of dry eyes in them.
- Check if the distance of their mobile phone from their eyes is 1 foot, for laptop, it is 2 feet and for TV, it is 10 feet.
- The 20-20-20 rule is also effective in dry eye treatment at home. Ask your child to look at some object 20 feet away from
- the screen for at least 20 seconds after every 20 minutes of screen time.
- Last but not least, opt for regular eye checkups to maintain good eye health for your child.
Opt for dry eye treatment for teenagers at the best eye hospital in Mumbai
Arohi Eye Hospital is the best place for your child’s dry eye care. We have advanced technology machinery for eye check-ups to eye surgeries to complete treatment and aftercare as well. Also, all our medical and non-medical staff members are highly knowledgeable and experienced in their respective domains. So if you are looking for the best eye care for your child’s dry eyes, get in touch with us.