Retinal diseases are often looked upon as irreversible conditions, because the retinal cells do not regrow spontaneously in a variety of cases like macular degeneration, glaucoma, and retinitis pigmentosa. But, this is not always so. With the inventions of medical science, conditions like retinal holes, diabetic retinopathy, retinal detachments, and more can be effectively treated with various techniques.
Retinal holes/tears – Laser surgery, cryopexy
- Retinal holes or tears can be treated with the help of a laser surgery, wherein a laser is used to heat small pinpoints on the retina, creating scarring that binds the retina to the underlying tissue.
- Another treatment is cryopexy, wherein a freezing probe is applied to the external wall of the eye, through which intense cold reaches the inside of the eye and freezes the retina, to later cause a scar and secure the retina to the eye wall.
Diabetic retinopathy – Scatter laser photocoagulation
- People suffering from diabetic retinopathy are made to undergo scatter laser photocoagulation to shrink abnormal new blood vessels that are bleeding or threatening to bleed into the eye.
Retinal detachment – Pneumatic retinopexy, sclera buckling
- Certain types of retinal detachment can be treated with the help of pneumatic retinopexy, where air or gas is injected into the eye. This technique can be used in combination with cryopexy or scatter laser photocoagulation too.
- Scleral buckling – Retinal detachment can be repaired with scleral buckling surgery, wherein a small piece of silicone material is sewn onto the outside surface of the eye to indent it, and relieve some of the force caused by the vitreous tugging on the retina.
Vision blockage – Vitrectomy, implanting a retinal prosthesis
- If bleeding or inflammation clouds the vitreous and obstructers the retinal view, vitrectomy is executed, where the gel-like fluid in the eye is evacuated and replaced, after which air, gas, or liquid is injected into the space. This technique is also used for people suffering from retinal tear, macular hole, diabetic retinopathy, retinal detachment, or any other infection or eye trauma.
- If there is severe vision loss or blindness due to a retinal disease, a retinal prosthesis may be implanted into the retina. However, this is not a very widely available surgical option.
Who to approach for all such retinal treatments?
Whether you are suffering from retinal tears, retinal detachment, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, vision blockage, or any other kind of retinal problems, you will always want to find only the best retina specialist in Mumbai. This is because you don’t want to be running around finding different doctors for different retinal conditions. Arohi Eye Hospital is the place you can go to for any kinds of retinal problems, in fact any kinds of eye problems for that matter. Here, only the best eye doctors and surgeons are available to treat every eye patient with utmost care and dedication, skilled with the most required knowledge and experience. The hospital specializes in a variety of eye treatments like cataract surgery, LASIK surgery, oculoplasty, diabetic retinopathy treatment, dry eye treatment, floaters treatment, and paediatric ophthalmology procedures.