Article Reviewed By: Dr. Shradha Goel
Table of Contents
We all have felt a sudden burning or stinging sensation in our eyes at least once, which often leaves us with blinking eyes repeatedly in the hope that this sensation will pass. Burning eyes can be bothersome, interrupting our day and making it hard to focus on anything else.
When we experience this burning feeling, it could be a significant distraction, affecting our work, leisure activities, and overall mood, and all we desire in those moments is immediate relief from burning eyes.
Fortunately, there are some effective methods to solve this common eye problem. Before diving into those solutions, let’s understand why our eyes burn and what else we can do to stop it from happening.
Understanding the Burn:
It could be due to allergies, dry eyes, staring at screens for too long, or even environmental factors like smog, smoke, or pollution. Sometimes, it’s just a matter of fatigue. Identifying the cause is the first step to finding the right solution.
Once you know the cause, you can start to make life changes to help. For example, if allergies are the problem, avoiding allergens and using special eye drops could be the answer. If it’s screen-related, taking regular breaks and ensuring you blink often could help. If environmental factors are bothering your eyes, wearing protective glasses might be a good idea. And, of course, getting enough rest is always important.
But if your eyes keep burning and nothing helps, seeing an eye specialist in Andheri, Mumbai, is a good idea. They can check your eyes and give you advice that’s just right for you.
Home Remedies and Lifestyle Changes
- Splash of Cold Water: The simplest answers are sometimes the most effective, like splashing cold water on your closed eyes and face, which can provide you with immediate relief. It helps in cooling of your eyes.
- The 20-20-20 Rule: Try the 20-20-20 rule if you spend much time in front of a screen. Every 20 minutes, look at anything 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds. This short break can significantly minimize eye strain.
- Warm Compress: A warm compress may be beneficial, especially if your eyes burn from dryness. The warmth helps to unblock the oil glands in your eyelids, which helps moisten your eyes.
- Stay Hydrated: Dehydration can lead to dry eyes, which may cause burning sensations. Drinking enough water will help you get relief from burning eyes.
- Use Artificial Tears: Artificial tear drops sold over the counter might provide a quick treatment for dry and stinging eyes. They offer the required moistening and relief.
- Avoid Allergens: If you have sensitivities to particular chemicals, try to avoid them. Using an air purifier at home also helps keep the air clean.
- Blink More Often: Blinking can prevent dryness and reduce the burning sensation. It’s a simple yet efficient method for keeping your eyes healthy and moist.
In some cases, home remedies may not be sufficient. That’s when you should consult the best eye surgeon in Mumbai. They might prescribe you the best treatment according to your condition.
- Antihistamines: Antihistamines can be quite helpful if allergies are causing your eyes to itch and burn. Allergies occur when your body responds to pollen, dust, or pet fur. This response might irritate your eyes, causing irritation and burning. You can lessen the itching and burning in your eyes by taking an antihistamine. Antihistamines come in a variety of formats, including tablets and ocular drops.
- Eye Drops: Prescription eye drops may be more effective than over-the-counter drops for persistent dry eyes.
- Lifestyle Changes: A few changes in your daily routine, such as minimizing screen time or wearing sunglasses outside, can sometimes prevent your eyes from burning.
Preventing Burning Eyes
Prevention is always preferable to cure. Consider the following measures to avoid the discomfort of burning eyes:
- Regular Screen Breaks: Make it a habit to take short breaks when using computers or smartphones.
- Wear Protective Eyewear: Protective eyewear might be useful if you go out on a windy day or in an environment with potential irritants.
- Maintain Eye Hygiene: Regularly clean your eyelids and lashes to prevent any build-up that could irritate your eyes.
- Manage Room Humidity: The air in our homes or offices might sometimes become overly dry. A humidifier can assist in maintaining a suitable level of humidity. Even if you feel the stinging and burning sensations, it might help you find relief from burning eyes.
When to See a Doctor?
If home remedies aren’t helping, or if you have symptoms like severe pain, changes in vision, or abnormal fluid discharge, it’s essential to see a doctor. Persistent burning could indicate an underlying condition that needs medical attention.
Burning eyes are a common issue but aren’t something you have to live with. From simple home remedies to lifestyle changes and medical treatments, there are several ways to find relief. It is critical to take care of your eyes for your overall health.
If you’re struggling with burning eyes and home remedies aren’t working for you, we suggest consulting a doctor. You can contact us at Arohi Eye Hospital to book an appointment with an expert eye specialist in Andheri, Mumbai. Remember, your eyes are precious, and you must care for them.