As we age, we start experiencing problems in almost every part of the body like the bones, muscles, digestive system, urinary system, and more. And, the eyes are no different. Age affects vision, especially after the age of 40. So, making eye health a priority is important. What eye problems can you experience as an elderly, why eye health is important, and how you must take care of your eyes, is explained in detail in this blog.
What eye problems can be experienced as we age?
Cataracts, macular generation, and glaucoma are three most common and most distressing eye problems that can affect adults over the age of 40.
- Cataracts is the most common, wherein there is a cloudy lens that covers the eye, making it difficult to visualize. This is the least severe of all the three problems as there is no internal damage done to the eyes, and thus can be treated with a surgery.
- Glaucoma is a serious eye condition as there is no cure for it! If this problem goes too far, it may develop permanent impaired vision or blindness. Thus, it is very important to treat the condition as soon as you witness even the smallest symptoms. And, these symptoms can only be witnessed through routine eye examinations by an eye specialist doctor.
- Macular degeneration generally attacks after the age of 50. We have a macula in our eye’s retina, which is responsible for central vision. When this macula degenerates, you will not be able to see straight ahead with clarity. However, your peripheral vision will remain intact.
Why is eye health important?
Any of the above eye problems, or in fact, any eye problem for that matter, can at first cause partial vision loss, and unclear vision. However, if left untreated, the condition may worsen, which may finally lead to complete blindness. This is why it is very important to take care of your eyes. As soon as you see symptoms of red eyes, itchy eyes, blurred vision, watering of the eyes, or any such abnormal condition that won’t leave you for long, it is advisable to get the best eye consultation in Andheri West Mumbai from a professional. With a routine check, the initial stage of any kind of eye problems can be identified, and thus treated at the earliest. This is why it is very important that just like a routine body check, we also get a routine eye checkup done. You never know when a small issue may lead to a severe condition!
How should you take care of the eyes?
Although there is no way you can stop your eyes from getting these abnormal symptoms that we have stated above, but you can always take care of your eyes by keeping them as safe as possible.
- Use sunglasses whenever you go out in the sun.
- Keep washing your eyes with water every few hours.
- Use a general lubricant to keep your eyes wet.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Keep exercising your eyes.
- And, last but not the least, get a regular eye consultation in Andheri West Mumbai at Arohi Eye Hospital, where there is a team of professionals to help you identify and treat almost all kinds of eye related issues.